- Pastor Luis Cruz
The Church Amidst the Pandemic
Listen to the Audio Recording 🎧
The world had been into many perilous times, but for many of our younger generation today, this Corona Virus is your perilous time. It hit us in 2003, and it hit us again today, only this time, it is now a pandemic. But when you look at the landscape of human history, God’s people has always been there, and were right in the midst of very difficult times, and by God’s grace, have become a part of the solution. God’s people has always weathered the storm because He has always been with them. God has a solution for everything, but His people must also act according to His will. And the will of God even at this time of perilous time is to become part of the solution.
How do we as a church, become part of the solution in addressing this Pandemic?
1. Obey the governing authorities, as this is the will of God.
The Bible said in 1 Peter 2, “13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. 15 For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people.”
· Since God is the Supreme Ruler of our universe, He has instituted authorities on earth.
· Peter was in the midst of an oppressive government and yet, he encouraged the early believers to obey every authority over them.
· Civil disobedience is disobedience to God.
· By submitting ourselves to governing authorities we are able to shut the mouth of those who are against our faith.
· This Pandemic is the best time to show our relevance and connection with our communities.
· A very uncommon time, and yet, it is the best time for God’s people to shine their light by helping those who are in need, showing compassion to those who fear, and to share the peace of God, through sharing of the Word of God.
· Avoid spreading conspiracy theories as they are unhelpful.
· Get reliable information is from the World Health Organization and from the Public Health Agency of Canada, and the Public Health Ontario.
2. Practice prudence.
Leviticus 13, 4 If the shiny spot on the skin is white but does not appear to be more than skin deep and the hair in it has not turned white, the priest is to isolate the affected person for seven days. 5 On the seventh day the priest is to examine them, and if he sees that the sore is unchanged and has not spread in the skin, he is to isolate them for another seven days.” Read Leviticus 13 verses 1-5; 45-46.
· The Lord may have referred to the leprosy a feared disease in that time as no medicine was available.
· One can catch leprosy the same as you would with Corona Virus – close contact and through droplets from coughing and sneezing.
· The priests had the authority to judge whether the illness was indeed leprosy.
· The priest can isolate the infected person. V.4-5
· The practice of social distancing. V.46
· The practice of covering our mouth to prevent droplets from spewing out. V.45
3. Take care of your body.
1 Corinthians 6, “19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore, honor God with your bodies.” Read 1Cor. 6:16-20.
· Eat healthy.
· Hydrate yourself with water.
· Get the right amount of sleep.
· Don’t stress yourself.
· Exercise regularly.
4. Overcome fear with prayer.
John 14, “26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
· Prayer to God encourages us.
· Even in fear, God promised to hear our prayers because the Holy Spirit helps us to pray in our weakness. See Rom. 8:26
· God is greater than anything and He has a plan for us.
Image by Foundry Co from Pixabay